Jim and I in Mary Kay's office!

Thursday, May 13, 2010

When Offense Is Given

Unfortunately, I hurt someone recently that I care deeply about. Even though it was unintentional, it happened and for that I am truly remorseful. I am thankful that she brought it to my attention and we talked about it. I was definitely in the wrong.

Has this ever happened to you? It happened to me years ago when I took offense at what someone said in our Church Choir and I stopped going to choir because of it. Whenever I saw this sister in the halls at Church I went the other way. I just didn't associate with her. Well one day, the alto section leader called me and asked me why I wasn't coming to choir anymore and I ended up telling her what happened. She in turn called this sister, who also happened to be our choir director and explained to her what happened. This sister caught up to me in the bathroom one Sunday and sincerely apologized...she had NO idea she had even offended me. What a lesson to me! That is why I appreciate this person bringing to my attention that I had offended her.

Unless we let someone who has offended us know they have, sometimes they don't even know they had given offense. This has made me realize I need to be more careful in the future about what I do and say. I pray this person has forgiven me because I cherish her friendship.

Each day I learn and grow - I pray that I can have the pure love of Christ (charity) in my thoughts and actions and make me a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment